Why would you want to use tex? To write and display complex math functions in a pleasant way. I use tex here on the site in some of the exams I offer.
I can think of 4 reasons to use KaTeX instead of JetPack, but the first 2 are my big reasons:
- I currently use Watu Quizzes on the site. Beautiful Math conflicts with it and KaTeX doesn’t.
- Of course I could switch from Watu, and I probably will eventually, but this signals a more general problem.
- Ease of Use
- I may be different as I write HTML fluently, but I prefer the syntax for KaTeX.
- Closeness to real TeX
- See below images to visually compare for yourself.
- The difference between KaTeX and TeX seems to be the need to use an extra “\”
- Beautiful Math uses a “$latex” syntax that doesn’t resemble the real deal as much to me.
- KaTeX is implemented as open source JS + CSS. That is easy to extend and bring in to all sorts of applications.
- Beautiful Math is implemented as a component of JetPack, which means it is PHP-based and hard to extend or transfer.
- I guess? I didn’t do speed tests myself but KaTeX brags about how it is the fastest tex web rendering engine.
- I’m not officially counting this in my 4 official reasons, but worth mentioning.
Now, on to finish converting my Watu Quiz questions to KaTeX…