This article codifies certain thoughts related to my ongoing dissertation work. Section 1 identifies some actionable items. Section 2 notes related articles.
Section I. Short Term Goals
- Finalize dissertation topic
- I am pursuing a PhD by Publication strategy.
- 1+ papers on the economics of alternative credentials. Specifically, I attempt to tie Udacity profile data to employment outcomes.
- 1+ papers on an agent based analysis of education. Specifically, I attempt to identify factors of enrollment, factors of completion, and effective treatments.
- 1+ paper topic TBD. I also need to identify a third committee member.
- One possibly easy study would be to look at attitudes around the subject from employers, employees, prospective college students, and other persons of interest.
- Discuss alternative credentials and alternative modes of education
- Literature review: Identify key players and papers in the various related fields.Fields include education, economics of education, and psychology.
- I should identify data sources and attempt to scrape them and conduct some basic analysis.
- Identify the scope of analysis for the modes of education. Define the set to be analyzed and the study design.
- Extend agent based analysis
- Discuss shortcomings of Charm ABM with Robert Axtell.
- Target Charm ABM for scale or process improvements.
- Finalize a publishable paper.
- Build on Bryan Caplan’s The Case Against Education
- Whoever I identify as key in my research should be a superset of the key players in this book, eg Hanushek.
- He argues that education is privately a good investment for many but socially a bad investment.
- I want to argue that traditional education is in fact a bad private investment for many, once opportunity costs are included.
- Many of these opportunities involve alternative credentials and alternative modes of education.
Section II. Related Articles
- Google search for `site:afterecon.com education`
- Page, We Need Education Reform
- Defining Self-Directed Learning and Unschooling, Jan 2018
- Education ABM Statement of Intent, Oct 2017
- 7 Reasons Degreed and Enterprise Need Academic Validation, March 2017
- Identifying Key Papers in the Economics of Education, March 2017
- Current Research Goals, Feb 2017
- Economic Efficiency Found in New Models of Education, May 2013